IMPROVING THE INSTITUTIONAL STRUCTURE AND CLIMATE FOR WOMEN IN PHYSICS
Topic Organizing Committee: Ling-An Wu (China, chair), Marcia Barbosa (Brazil), Herwig Schopper (Switzerland)
Issues: Office space, laboratory space, restrooms, safety, sexual harassment, drop out
1. Do the women at the university and research centers have the same office
space as the men?
2. Do the women at the universities and research centers have the same amount
of space in their laboratories as the men?
3. Are there the same number of restrooms facilities for women and men?
4. Is it safe to work late at night? Is it safe to work on the weekends?
5. Is it allowed for faculty to date his own student? ( this is
common in Latin countries)
Are there any policy regarding sexual harassment?
Are the female physicists treated by their colleagues in the same way that they treat the male physicists?
How the staff treat the women in physics?
9. Is the scientific interaction between males the same as between different sex in physics?
Text for Reading: