Activities of the Canadian Team
A number of CEWIP and related activities followed directly from the IUPAP
1. The IUPAP conference and resulting recommendations and resolutions
were summarized at the Women in Physics session at the Canadian
Association of Physicists annual meeting held in Quebec City in June 2002.
2. The poster our delegation presented at the IUPAP meeting summarizing the
status of women in physics in Canada was also presented at the Canadian
Association of Physicists annual meeting, held in Quebec City in June 2002
and the International Conference of Women Engineers and Scientists in
Ottawa, July 2002. (www.physics.ubc.ca/~janis/iupap-poster.pdf)
3. A summary of the IUPAP conference, including the conference resolutions
and recommendations, was published in Physics in Canada, which is
circulated to all members of the Canadian Association of Physicists.
4. At least one member of the original delegation (Marie D'Iorio) attended
the IUPAP General Assembly in Berlin, where a vote was taken on the
resolutions of the Paris conference and where the Canadian delegation
supported the resolutions.
Upcoming events include:
1. Marie D'Iorio will give a talk on Attracting Women to Science at the
Women in Science and Engineering Breakfast at the MRS meeting this month.
2. This year's CEWIP event at the CAP Annual Congress (June 2003
Charlottetown PEI) will include a presentation by Carolyn Emerson about her
recent book (with F. Mary Williams) entitled Becoming Leaders: A Handbook
for Women in Science, Engineering and Technology.
Please let me know if there is anything further we can help you with.
Dr. Barbara Frisken
Department of Physics
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby BC V5A 1S6